Trip to see Taylor!!!!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chapter S-4: Curious Conversations

October 2009 and into November 2009

So off I was in San Diego.
Having a wonderful time on my business trip.
It was great seeing my parents and this is the scenario where our relationship thrives... when I see them about every 4 months for a weekend where the activities are shopping and dining out.
My parents even picked us up at the airport and acted as our chauffeurs taking us wherever we needed to go for meetings and a much needed excursion to Target.

I did have a chance to check my email like 2 days into our trip is San Diego AND Spencer had emailed me and it made me smile…

From: Spencer
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2009
To: Teagan

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

I found out the rat within 10 minutes of dropping you off. This person is without a doubt gunning for my position! I will email you here very soon. Hey look, It was great meeting you! I like you, and feel it could be an absolute blast getting to know you. Believe it or not, I was a little nervous talking to you today... I hope and pray for your safe return to Singapore, and Godspeed to San Diego. Take care Chicka Bonita!

V/R,
Mr. Spencer X

Here was my attempt at a flirtatious response a few days later…

From: Teagan
Date: Sat, Oct 24, 2009
To: Spencer

Hi handsome, finally found my way onto a computer after travel and SD yesterday and today.  I cannot believe you already found out who that rat was...unbelievable but people always gun for those at the top...like my best friend said to me before "better get used to it".  I had a great time meeting you though it was random and such.  I'll talk to you soon, this weekend is set to be pretty freaking awesome.  Tonight we had this cocktail party and we were introduced as "the hot (insert my profession)'s from Singapore"...nice...well kinda embarrassing since it was the main speaker who said that but oh well.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you too.  Though I can't believe you were nervous because you were the one asking the "tough" questions haha religion and politics on a first date?!  Hmmm I will have to think of some tough questions but right now I'm way too jet lagged and the only thing I can think of in terms of a “what’s your take on…” is are you a Coke/Pepsi person?  Obviously way jet lagged… Talk to you soon
Teagan

So we emailed a few times back and forth which soon turned to daily emails and conversations…and the eventual drunk dial (from him not me haha).

Here is the next slew of our emails when I was back in Singapore…

 Subject: question...
From: Spencer
Date: Wed, Nov 4, 2009
To: Teagan

Hey you,
     I want to talk, when is normally ok for me to call you?
 Me

From: Teagan
Date: Wed, Nov 4, 2009
To: Spencer

Hi you,
Ummm so I'm kinda a workaholic...well just a little bit...so to actually talk on the phone night time is best usually leave work between -9pm.  Sometimes if I don't have meetings over lunch I can sneak a phone call (usually that is anywhere between 2-4) but my schedule is weird too...let me think (and sometimes I think outloud on computer and type).  Well my good friends do pseudo conversations via emails.  So my schedule is Sunday/Mondays off, Tuesdays and Thursdays I work 8:45-8:30 lunch 2-4, Wednesday 10:45-8:30 lunch 2-4, Fridays 10-6:30 lunch 3-4, Sat 9:15-3pm no lunch...and then throw in a smattering of meeting, and yea I'm pretty busy so I like to play hard on my time off :)  Does that help or did that make no sense whatsoever?
Teagan

From: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Teagan

Lets start off with, I am sorry... Really Spencer... I drunk dialed you...
 I am sure you are ok with it only because you are a very nice person. That is not in my character, and I should not act that way. It was just being with my friends for the first time in about a year. Please, forgive me. I hope you have a great day at work, and to hear from you soon!

Very apologetic,
Spencer
SSG US Army
"De Oppressor Liber"
“It’s not the nature of his weapons that insures victory, but rather the unconquerable soul of a man” General George S. Patton

From: Teagan
Subject: Re: question...
To: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009

Hi you,

No worries...not a big deal at all...if I was sleeping then I wouldn't have answered...my flatmates and I were having a glass of wine and sitting around trying to sort out birthday stuff this month and then I was being a nerd and looking some information up for a client of mine.  I totally understand what it's like to see and hang with your friends especially when you haven't seen them in forever.  Did you end up getting your car back?  Did you ever get that second cheeseburger?  I will try not to be too offended that I rank between the McDonald's Chicken burger and a cheeseburger...anyway hopefully you aren't hurting too badly this morning.  Talk to you soon...today I will be chained to a computer for a few hours so I can definitely email :)

Talk soon
Teagan

From: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Teagan

Well your ranking is much higher than my drunk brother was talking about last night. I just spent about a hour cleaning my office, looking pretty nice... I am going to relax today, I am not hurting as bad as I should be right now. Lets say I am not drinking for some time now. I got to get my beach body back, or try... so its extra gym time for me....... Its good for me, right? O yea... I was able to get the car back, and I got home safe. the Korean driver was very understanding (I dont know why). I got home, and about 2 hours of sleep. Nice huh?

-Spencer

From: Teagan
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Spencer

Nice...but I'm pretty sure it was you who gave me that ranking haha...wow it sounds like you have been pretty productive today.  I know what that is like …Sunday for me was rough gosh darn Halloween gets me everytime...it had to be the shots on the bus for sure.  I don't know about you but I love the gym...it for sure is a stress reliever for me.  Because my job is what it is I have to stay in decent shape or else I would be hurting.  I really want to try that insanity program out...have you heard of it?  It is supposed to be like the P90X program on steroids.  The only thing that sucks about Singapore is I find the weather really crappy to run in.  Good to know that you got your car okay and that you got a driver I was hoping you wouldn't try and drive home :)  the two hours of sleep is kinda sucky though...

From: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009 
To: Teagan

Hey I am going to lunch with...

Dad
And the 2 guys from the bar that night I met you

With that being said, I will be right back.(wink)

From: Teagan
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Spencer

Hey how fun is that?  cool that is the whole crew that I met...so no "hair of the dog" at lunch?  based on what y'all sounded like last evening I'm impressed that you have them all rounded up for lunch ;)  Just had a crazy influx of 2 hours but it was good.  I am full of energy just bouncing around the office when I'm working  its a lot of fun...talk soon

From: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Teagan

Back from a great lunch, great talks... We are going out to a Brizilian skeakhouse tonight, so didn't have a heavy lunch. I am really looking forward to relaxing this weekend. Saturday I am going to sponsor a 5k breast cancer run, should be fun. Hopefully I will not be nearly as sore as last time. I am going to get off at 5, go home quickly and bust my ass in the gym!!! Then go to the steakhouse. I am thinking I will call it a night after that???? I hope you are still doing well!!!

From: Teagan
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009 
To: Spencer

How fun!  Great talks that sounds interesting...please tell me James wasn't still looking for a kabob.  I wish I had a relaxing weekend...they just seem to get more and more jam packed...November is set to be pretty busy but I guess that is what usually happens to me.  That's what you get for being a social butterfly...well and then there is the once in awhile events that pop up for work.  At least Tioman will be nice and chill :) 

From: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Teagan

bahahha look how I spelled Brazilian, I am going to role with that... hahaha I am going to the driving range. brb Ma'am

Spencer

Can I just say right now how much I love the south and boys calling women Ma'am...kills me and I love it!

From: Teagan
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009 
To: Spencer

wow work is rough for you eh?  driving range...lunch with your buddies...hmm where do I sign up?

From: Spencer
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009 To: Teagan

haha just playing. II am about to go home, feel free to give me a call later on. Hey if you were here, you could go with me! You better be thinking about when you are coming back here to hang out with me!!!

From: Teagan
Date: Thurs, Nov 5, 2009
To: Spencer

haha.  I need to come back to Korea to check out the DMZ amongst other things of course ;) but it is too cold there now!

So that is an example of our back and forth throughout the work day over email.
Then we would call each other every single night.
I was trying so hard NOT to fall for him but I was.
That night he booked a flight to Singapore for three weeks from then.
It would correspond to him being able to spend a few days in Singapore then go on the “flatmate trip” to a little island in Malaysia.

I admit it I was totally smitten.
When we talked I thought he was incredible.
I thought he was such an amazing person for all his accomplishments.
He told me everything I wanted to hear…he was always very complimenting (which I ate up).

It was just so much fun talking to him.
We seemed to have so much in common in every aspect of our lives
We wanted the same things.
It was also soooo comforting to talk to him and I always had a huge smile on my face when my phone would ring and I would see it was him.

I was so nervous and excited that he was actually coming to Singapore.
My flatmates thought it was hilarious that I recommended hotels for him to stay in.
But I was like “what if he is crazy?  I’m not inviting him to our place to stay!”
They thought it was kind of rude but I wanted to still maintain a safe space.
Plus I thought it was a gentlemanly thing to do to not assume he would stay with me.

Let’s face it I was falling fast and hard for this guy…even though at first I was trying not too.  It just made me so happy to talk to him.
It just seemed like everything was lining up perfect. 
His family seemed great.
They lived in Florida (one of my favourite states).
He seemed to have everything together and he seemed to be equally smitten with me.

It was going better than I had ever hoped…and though I was trying not to let it into my head…maybe there was a reason I had moved to Singapore…and maybe for once everything was going to work out perfectly.  I was so so happy EVERYone noticed it… but I did want to see how his visit would go. 

It’s heart retching funny but looking at our email conversations (well and knowing the talks that occurred those evenings) you can see the slight shifts…from just curiosity to a peaked interest to infatuation to love…just watch read…


No comments:

Post a Comment