Trip to see Taylor!!!!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Calgary Trip from Mid February Recap

So the week had started off incredibly terrible and I was still in a state of shock that my Grandfather had passed away on the Monday of that week.
But after careful consideration and support from my friends (including my blog friends that I heart).
I decided to go take the tests in Calgary.
So Friday morning a cab came to my place at 5:30am (way too early) and I headed to the small airport in my city.

I've never actually flown out of my home town.
Its a tiny airport with only 2 baggage claims carousels if that gives you a better idea of size.
It was weird to be flying because I officially haven't flown since I'd returned from Asia in May.
It brought back a flood of memories of Spencer but I tried to push it to the back of my mind.
Even in this tiny airport they have one of those x-ray things and of course I am "randomly selected" to that or a pat down (I've heard the horror stories of the pat downs) so I took some extra radiation instead.
It was pretty fast and before I knew it I was on my way.

I landed in Calgary and found my way to the car rental with my luggage.
The whole time grumbling to myself ...I miss travelling with my husband.
I just felt so gosh darn lonely.
But I tried to push that to the back of my mind after all I have HUGE scary tests to be focusing on.
So I got into my rental car and off I went.
I had packed my GPS (I'm completely USELESS with navigation) and it comes down to like Calgary or Calgary city.  I (mistakenly) assumed I wanted the city (to me this would be more downtown).  But I started driving...and driving...and driving...and finally noticed that I was driving right past the downtown looking aspect. 
This is what I saw that made me think I was NOT travelling in the right direction.



Yes there was definitely nothing around and I was by the D'Arcy Ranch Golf Club (see directly above).  So I pulled over and changed the settings to Calgary and soon found myself headed towards what looked a lot better as a "city".  Even from a distance when I started to turn off one of the main highways I could tell it was more of a "downtown".  And I had already driven past that  same highway and thought to myself ...hmmm I feel like I'm driving past the highway that would take me downtown but since I trusted the GPS I went right on past.  See these are the pics I snapped when I turned off to go down the main highway.

 And I'm actually not doing it real justice (its kind of from far away) but I was all excited that I was getting close to downtown instead of driving in the middle of nowhere.  Here are some pics off the net of the city skyline of Calgary (its not a tiny city but not super metropolitous either).


I know I know could I miss driving past that giant city?...but I did.  I chalk it up to nerves about the test and desparately trying not to think of my grandfather's funeral.  Also the flying put me in a total tailspin about Spencer.  So I headed to the Westin in Calgary thank goodness for having that comfort.  I like their beds there for sure.  I obviously did check if there was a W in Calgary but "settling" for the Westin is pretty good haha.  The hotel was beautiful and that night (for all you hockey fans) there was the visiting NHL team playing the Calgary Flames staying there so there was tons of fans outside the hotel the whole time but it was cute becuaes it was mainly kiddos.  Here are some pics from Westin Calgary's website.





Like the photos?  Good because besides the testing sites that is about all I saw of Calgary for 4 days.  It would be nice to go back for the Stampede one year.  So I kept on studying the rest of the day and night.  I was so full of jitters for the test and honestly I didn't feel focused. 

So Saturday I got up bright and early for the provincial test.  I got there and chatted up some other people taking the test probably about half of them were taking the national one the next day also.  SO I was used to American state tests where you cannot bring ANY things with you into the room (no purse, no phone, no notes etc) so like the American state exam I left my notes in the car.  So we settle in for the test (probably like 30 people) and the proctor starts to read out the instructions and says "okay so its open book so you can use your notes".  The blood drained from my face.  It was  open book?!  How did I miss that I had POURED over the entire 2" binder of notes they provided and their website.  Is it possible I missed that HUGE fact.  OMG what do I do.  So I raised my hand and in front of all 30 people meekly said "ummm I had no idea it was open book and my binder is in my car can I go get it?"  After the proctor okayed it with other test takers I ran to my car and back in.  My eyes were burning I was so completely embarrased.  How had I missed this huge fact.  So I breezed through the test now that it was open book (and I was kind of pissed because I would have spent way more time studying for Nationals versus the Provincials that I spent so much time on).  I was the first person done the test though.  And one of the proctors was like "guess you didn't need the binder so much after all."  But I was super embarrased because I felt like it made me look completely unprepared and that is so NOT me. 

So then I had the afternoon to sit through another portion that I could get out of the way that was part of the provincial mandatory training program.  Most of the people there that were taking Nationals the next day didn't stay they left to study.  So I was a little concerned that maybe I should be studying also but since I had signed up before hand I stuck it out.  Another girl (Canadian that was still in school in the US) came up to me and was like I bet I know why you didn't know it was open book.  I was like, please tell me because I'm mortified that I looked so unprepared.  She showed me a letter that she recieved on Tuesday (test was Saturday) that was the only place it says open book.  Well my mail for "official" stuff goes to my parents place who had left on Monday for Europe for my Grandpa's funeral.  (Sure enough when I got home I had recieved that letter (soooooooooooo frustrating but at least I know I didn't miss a HUGE glaring fact)).

The next day was Nationals.  It was terrifying for me...I don't know why I was so scared but I found it difficult becuase it was vague.  I was shaking so badly in the rooms (it takes place in multiple rooms).  I felt like I BOMBED the first two rooms I just couldn't settle down at all for some reason.  Those four hours were incredibly long and stressful.  I just did NOT feel good leaving that exam at all.  I was planning on getting a massage at the spa after the exam but I was so upset at myself that I totally didn't want to.  So I was just completely bummed and ordered in some room service.  It takes 6 weeks to get these result but I did not feel good about the National test.

However, the good news was that next up was Winterpeg! (What me and all the girls call Winnipeg because it is so freaking cold there).  But it would be my first time to see Sophie in her new house and her new puppy!  So I was excited and there is nothing better for me than hanging out with one of my girls.  Off to Winterpeg!

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I know you were stressed about the test and the travel and all of that jazz, but you sort of forgot to pick up two (2) hockey playing boyfriends at the hotel: one for you and one for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW I totally forgot to do something in Calgary! haha I needed a wingwoman...somehow I don't think either of us would classify as puck bunny material(though I love athletes too-sigh total sucker for guys that are super tall and muscular and coordinated haha.)

    FYI for those of you who don't know courtesy of urban dictionary (its a total Canadian term)... puck bunny ="A female, typically in her late teens to early 30s (but it can go lower) who attends hockey games, not to see a well fought game, or to see 2 goons duke it out, but just to look at the studly hockey players in the hoping that one night they'll roll over and see them in their bed, or in his bed, and has little or no interest in the sport or the score, and when a hockey player is brought up in coversation, will commonly use the words "tight, cute, sexy, ass, arms, shoulders" at any point in 1 sentence." Cant stand 'em puck bunnies

    ReplyDelete