Trip to see Taylor!!!!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

First dates, freezing, and the question of the day... am I shallow?

So today was the first date with MrFinance.
And it was good.
I had fun even though I was seriously nervous.

It took me awhile to figure out what to wear.
I wanted to at least have something red on (which is Toronto FC colour).
And comfortable shoes to walk in.
So this is what I picked.


So I drove downtown to meet MrFinance.
We met close to his place and then walked to the stadium.
The conversation was flowing and there was enough stuff going on to keep us chatting.
We sat with this view of the Toronto skyline in the background.



First Toronto FC game and it definitely has me amped to go again.
It was exciting though because it was a regular season game (the last) it ended in a 2-2 tie against New England.
Here is the starters from today.


Soccer boys can be so very cute...


The game was great but I was FREEZING though because I left my jacket at home. 
MrFinance was sweet enough to give me his jacket during the game.
We may have even missed a goal or two becaue of our non stop chatter.
We agreed on our favourite player was a forward ... Here he is playing today.

There was sort of an awkward end...like I'm sure most first dates are.
He asked me if I wanted to hang out again soon.
I honestly wasn't sure what to say so of course I was like "yea that sounds like fun".
He wanted to know what my week was like.
I stammered...he then said something about maybe scheduling at a later time.
And I said something dumb like, yea let's see how the week looks.
Then I akwardly hugged him which is at least a step up from MM.

So does it feel like I'm avoiding getting to something important.
I kind of am because I have a question.
Here's my question...how much does physical attraction matter?

Would I crush on MrFinance without his good personality or would he catch my attention from across the street...unlikely (if I'm being honest).
His personality is great...and I did have a fun time this afternoon.
The soccer game FLEW by...enough so that we only really had one drink at the game.
And when we got the drinks I got ID'd!!!  And if you don't know the drinking age here is 19! 
I am 10 years older than the legal drinking age.
That's kind of crazy right???

Afterwardthe game ended we walked to a small bar a few blocks away and had coffee with Baileys to warm up.
I paid for the coffees (he got us the soccer tickets and drinks at the game).
But I'm not sure how to proceed.

So at the end of the day...do looks really matter?
It's not that he is unattractive at all...just not my usual type.
He kind of looks like an asian clark kent (thats what I think of when I see him and it is a compliment because I actually really like his thick rimmed glasses).

So here are all the things I like about him.
-He was fun and we had nonstop chatter.
-He lived in London for 2 years with work so did a bunch of traveling
(kind of like how I did in Singapore).
-He is therefore wordly and well traveled.
-His favourite holiday is Christmas (mine too).
-We have similar tastes in music.
-He is really active both socially (had a wedding to go to tonight and went out last night with friends) and physically (bikes, plays volleyball, does yoga, plays golf and tennis).
-He is smart.
-He came up with a fun unique date (Toronto FC game).
-He was a gentleman and offered me his jacket when he was cold.
-He enjoys cooking.
-He likes fine dining and different food experiences.
-He both listened and talked.
-He likes musicals (which is sort of one of my secret nerdy things).

Things that I'm unsure about...
-physical attraction
-his parents came to visit from out West where they live and stayed for 5 weeks (I know I"m weird about the whole parent close realtionship thing because it has sort of gotten me in the past)
-I paid for coffee.  You see I can't decide if this is fair or not.  In my mind in ALL my previous relationships I paid for at least half and often more.  And not that I need someone to take care of me...but seemed a little to easy to pay for something and that is something I'm at least being more conscious of becuase of how badly I've been burned.
-No compliments (in terms of you look pretty or anything like that...wait he did say I was adventuresome...I also didn't compliment him to be fair).
-He rides a bike in the city with no helmet (this would make me worried...I know I'm such a nerd!).
-left around 4:30 and no text follow up (I like the follow up and it has only been a few hours...just all the guys I ever ended up dating follow up immediately with massive compliments...or I guess persistance...to be honest that is how Spencer won me over...I was never initially super attracted to him etc but he was persistant).

So here are my questions...(and I recognize I totally overanalyze things which is clearly evident in my blog).
1. am I being too picky?
2. should I go on more dates with MrFinance?
3. am I being a total shallow bitch?

Then I was driving home and the WEIRDEST thing happened.
A car with a guy and his friend pulled up beside me and I happened to look over.
And the guy is like "excuse me" and making the roll down motion for the car window.
So I do and he say OH my god you are so beautiful.  Let me take you out PLEASE.
And I giggle and just shake my head and say "no thanks that's okay".
To which he replies "and your shy!!! You are shy look at you and so beautiful"
AND I kid you not this goes on for 20+ street lights.
To the point where he is blocking traffic on my right side when I get stuck behind someone making a left turn...and people are honking and getting angry at him.


For a split second I debating giving him my number.
Even his friend was like "come on we should have turned 10 lights ago please just give him your number!"
But I didn't and not going to lie...it kind of made my day.
And three stop lights after a couple pulled up (they must have been one of the honking cars behind him) and they shouted over "did you at least give him your number?"
And I just shook my head no.
And continued to come home...to start my big exciting Saturday night of packing to move next weekend.



Pics from here, here, here.


7 F Joao Plata 19 5' 2" 135 Ecuador Active


This player was only 5'2" but he was maing all kinds of important plays.

2 comments:

  1. What a great pick-me-up with the guy in the car! :) That kind of flattery is always welcome. It might be worth another shot with MrFinance just to see, but I think physical attraction IS important because otherwise you will just be friends and eventually roommates AND I think flattery/compliments are important as well. You looked cute though and if nothing else, it sounds like you had a good time. Also I'm jealous of the World Tour thing you went to see - I'm going to see if it's coming here at all. We are going to see a Michael Jackson tribute band (sounds dork I know but could be fun) for a work function in a few weeks so I'm sort of secretly interested to see what that's like as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AnEarly30- Absolutely it was very flattering...even if they were probably like 22. Hmm that is a good point...I think I need to move on from MrFinance. Will post about that soon. And please please go see it if it comes around totally worth it. And a Michael Jackson tribute band sound fab! I would be so in if that was in my area. Can't wait to hear how it is :)

    ReplyDelete